If you are fed up with uncomfortable dentures you may be interested in dental implants which are a modern alternative to dentures.
Even with a lifetime of great oral care routines, you may still end up needing dentures eventually. Because we are living longer than ever before, our teeth can simply wear out even when we have done everything possible to keep them healthy. And there are numerous factors that speed up wear and tear on our teeth, including conditions like heart disease and diabetes, genetic factors and medicines not to mention diet.
If you are facing dentures with dread, or are already a denture wearer, you may be interested to know that there is an alternative option.
Potential Problems With Dentures
There are a number of problems that denture wearers commonly suffer from, including:
- Worry about embarrassment if they slip or even fall out while you are talking, eating, laughing or coughing.
- Limited diet as some foods can be hard to chew and eat.
- It can be difficult to get used to the feel of wearing a plate.
- They can rub and irritate your gums, occasionally becoming quite painful.
- Having a lack of confidence when it comes to eating out in public.
- They must be removed every night and require additional cleaning and care.
- Because dentures stain more easily than natural teeth it is harder to maintain a white smile.
The good news is that dentures aren’t necessarily your only teeth replacement option, because dental implants are a great alternative restoration solution.
What Are Dental Implants?
Replacing all of your teeth is now easy using advanced technology in a full-mouth teeth replacement procedure. New Teeth On 4 secures full sets of teeth to four dental implants in the jaw. It is so advanced that if you need your teeth removed this can be done on the same day as your implants are placed and fixed, meaning you don’t have to go even one day without teeth.
Dental implants offer a number of benefits to people who can no longer manage their dentures, or those who need to have their teeth removed and hate the thought of dentures.
Benefits Of Dental Implants
- Stable, fully-fixed teeth that look and feel just like natural teeth.
- They are more comfortable compared to dentures and much easier to get used to wearing.
- Because the teeth are fixed you do not have to avoid eating any foods – you can eat anything.
- Having full confidence in public and especially when eating out.
- Maintenance of dental implants is easy with good hygiene routines at home and an annual dental appointment – no extra cleaning or soaking is necessary.
- Because implants replace some of the tooth roots and integrate with it, they help to preserve the jawbone and maintain great facial aesthetics. In contrast, the jawbone can deteriorate over time in denture wearers and lead to a ‘caved in’ smile.
- Although dental implants are more expensive initially, in the long run they work out to be more cost effective. This is because dentures wear down and must be replaced every few years. However, dental implants are considered to be a long-term solution as they last for many, many years with good care.
With over 35 years’ experience, Dr Alex McIntosh is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable dental implant surgeons in New Zealand. In fact, he is often consulted to correct cases which have been performed overseas with unsuccessful or undesirable outcomes.