With winter sports starting up, it’s time to make sure you have all of the right gear for a great (and hopefully uninterrupted) season! Anyone who plays a contact sport should wear a mouthguard. Mouth injuries and oral trauma from an impact to the face during sport are all too common in both children and adults. Injuries can include cuts, bruises and broken or dislocated teeth. Generic mouthguards are readily available but it’s also worth considering a custom-made mouthguard from your Dentist. Although the initial cost is more, there are several benefits that a custom-made mouthguard will provide.
- Custom-made mouthguards are easier and more comfortable to wear than over-the-counter mouthguards because they are exactly fitted to your jaws, teeth and mouth. Because it is created from an impression of your teeth, the mouthguard will fit you precisely and you will not have to keep your mouth closed to keep the guard sitting in place. This is a huge benefit when you are exercising strenuously. And because they are more comfortable to wear, they will not distract you from focusing on the game.
- Your mouth, teeth and gums are unique and therefore an over-the-counter mouthguard simply will not give you the same level of protection that a mouthguard designed specifically for you will provide. Customised mouthguards will also accommodate and protect any appliances you have in your mouth, such as the brackets and wires of braces, retainers or implant-supported dentures which can break and cause additional injuries during a sports impact. There is extra good news too, as research has shown that a quality custom-designed mouthguard can help to buffer the effects of concussion by separating the lower jaw and the upper jaw during impact.
- Another benefit of custom-made mouthguards is the ability to tailor the thickness to your specific needs. Generic mouthguards are one standard thickness, while your Dentist will consider which level of thickness is appropriate for you and the sports you play. For example, boxers will need mouthguards that are much thicker than a tennis player. This ensures you have the right amount of thickness and therefore protection for the specific activity you do.
- Custom-made mouthguards can be a great long-term investment. Over-the-counter mouthguards tend to wear out quickly because they are not specifically designed for you and wear unevenly. Also, because they provide limited protection, you still run the risk of incurring oral injuries from an impact and requiring dental care. As is the case with most dentistry, prevention is much better than cure and investing in a custom-made mouthguard can definitely save you in the long run.
- You can personalise your mouthguard by choosing your favourite colour, combination of colours, or even embed stickers, your name or team name into it!
Please contact us to find out more about custom-made mouthguards for you or your child.